Sunday, January 20, 2008

Keeping out the cold

Dear Gentle Reader,


It has been so cold here lately!  Our dear house is over 100 years old and it can be taxing to keep out the cold winter air.  One of the best ways to keep a cold draft out of the house is with a curtain drawn across a door.  Here is a picture of my front door here at Honey Hill Farm.  As you can see I just hung a curtain on each side of the door and can easily draw them closed to chase away the chill of a cold day. Since our old house has all handmade doors and windows it can be very difficult to locate curtains that are the right size.  I just used heavy ready-made velvet curtain ($20 each). Of course, they were too short for my tall door so I just added lots of trim from the fabric shop! (Dearest had to laugh as my trim cost more than the curtains!) Make sure to hang your curtains a little bit higher than you actually want them as the trim and heavy velvet make them stretch.



Have a warm and blessed day dearest friend,


Shan


3 comments:

Patty said...

I love your blog Shan. Your pictures are so warm and inviting.

Is that rosaries hanging on the cross by the door. I make rosaries. Have for years, so I am always noticing them.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful journal! Your pictures are awesome. I just love the picture in "Stocking the Pantry".


Good luck on your new blog. You've gotten a great start! ( I followed your bloglink from Patty's Blog)

Anonymous said...

Shan, thank you so much for stopping by and your kind comments. How wonderful that you've started a blog ~ I really love the pictures you have posted. It has always been my dream to live in an old house, they have so much character.


Deb

homespun living