Thursday, February 14, 2008

A little more peeking.....


Dearest Readers,


As promised, I will give you the continuing tour of my home......here is a picture of the "business end" of my dear little kitchen.  My sink is such a cutie; even though it doesn't show in the picture, the sink is speckled blue - like granite ware.  Dearest was shopping at the hardware store a long time ago and found this sink on the clearance isle.  What a sweet surprise!


The back-splash is actually the same type of embossed wallpaper as the ceiling (only smaller in scale).  This is a terrific paper to use - it hides imperfections in old walls and holds up wonderfully once it is painted with semi-gloss paint.  I bought the roll on sale for $1.50 and I used it as a back-splash and behind my stove - so much cheaper than tile!



Of course, a very important part of any kitchen is a stove and my dear old 1949 O'Keefe and Merritt fits the bill!  When our conventional stove gave out a few years ago, I decided that my next stove would have character and an old-fashioned feel.  We scoured catalogs and found some very delightful, but very expensive "old" cookstoves.  The only problem was that I wanted 2 ovens and 6 burners - either I couldn't find a model that had those options, or the model that had those options was out of my price range.  Finally, I saw an ad in our local paper about a gentleman that restored and sold old stoves.  Even though this model is not turn-of-the-century, I couldn't resist its charms or the price!  It was a match made in heaven.


The "icebox" is just our old (22 years) refrigerator that my Dearest covered with beadboard and hardware.  One cannot have a modern looking appliance spoiling everything, now can they? The little black "box" on the top of the icebox is a pie warmer.  I have a small light in it so that it looks like it is glowing but it didn't show up too well in the photo.



And finally, you can see all the way back around to my china cabinet.  I have this along one wall to hold all of my everyday dishes.  We don't have many cabinets so this works very well. 


If you will recall, I posted a picture of my pantry earlier, well, here is the opposite side of that cozy little room.  I house my baking center right there in my Hoosier.  I can pull out the metal top, sift flour right from the flour bin and mix my baking ingredients right there. It is fun to use antiques for everyday living.  My mixer is hidden by a lovely old dish towel in case you were concerned about that lump in the photo - LOL.


And so dear friends, that is a peek into the kitchen here at Honey Hill Farm.  Not too big, not too small, just right - at least for me.  I am so blessed to have this home in which to serve my family and others.


Have a blessed day,


Shan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh,wow, I stopped back by to get a recipe from your page and saw you had added even more lovely pictures.What a beautiful,gracious home you have.I want to thank you so much for sharing it with everyone. You are so sweet.

Blessings to you,

Gayle

Anonymous said...

What did you use to stick the paper to the ceiling? I would like to do the same thing in my home. Your home is beautiful. Thank you, Barbara

bodkin said...

Dear Barbara,


The paper on my ceiling is an embossed wallpaper so it is already pre-pasted! I hope that helps! Thank you for your kind comments.


Yours kindredly,

Shan