Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A peek into my kitchen....


Dearest Readers,


I would like to share a few photographs of my kitchen here at Honey Hill Farm. The photo above is of a little shelf that sits over my stove.  I have been collecting old tins of canned foods for a long time.........these are a few of my favorites.



Now you can see my ceiling and the lovely light fixture that my Dad made for me many years ago.  You might notice the "tin" on the ceiling!  Ah, dear reader, that is just embossed wallpaper that I purchased on sale for $6.00.  I cut it into squares to make it easier to hang, then I painted it a plain grey and went back over it with a silver glaze.  This project cost less than $20.00!


The light fixture did not originally have all of those prisms, it was very simple.  When I decided to make my house Victorian, I was on a very limited budget, sooooo off to Home Depot to the lighting department!!  I hung the prisms off of a very stiff "ribbon" that I picked up at Wal-Mart for 97cents a roll. 


The little curtain that you can see next to my cabinets hides the microwave.  It is on a swing rod and you can just swing it open and then you have access to the microwave. 


Of course, no Victorian kitchen would be complete without a few well placed accessories and what better place than the top of the cabinets!  Here you will find tins, granite ware, and little candles making themselves at home.



This little table is so handy to have here in my dear kitchen.  My Dearest added extra "feet" to the bottom of the legs to make it an ideal height for rolling out dough and chopping vegetables.  The top was covered with fabric and then a clear tablecloth.  The grinder came from the local hardware store  - my turn-of-the-century food processor!


I am pleased with this small, but functional kitchen.  It has the same footprint as it did 100 years ago, and it is just pleasant place to be each and every day.


Tomorrow I will share a few more pictures, but for now I will say goodbye dearest friends.  I hope you have a gentle and quiet evening.



Blessings,


Shan

9 comments:

Vicki said...

Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures of your kitchen, I love it! I look forward to more pics soon!

That Girl

blessedmomof10 said...

Shan,


Thank you for sharing pics with us all.....I was so amazed at the cieling! Hard to believe it's just wallpaper! Wow! I also love the table....... very neat! :)


Blessings~

gloria

stitchnchick said...

It's beautiful and just what I expected you to have. You have such a lovely home and spirit. :-)


Amy

Anonymous said...

Amen to that - a very lovely home and more importantly, spirit. Thanks for sharing them with us.


L

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful,peaceful inviting kitchen.Everything is so well chosen and in a perfect place.I love the ceiling idea,because tin ceilings are so expensive but I love the look of them.Thank you for showing us your beautiful home,it really is a spirit lifter,and makes me want to go and make my own place more beautiful.What a blessing your blog is.Have a wonderful day.

God bless,

Gayle

Anonymous/Katie said...

I was eye-ballin' that ceiling! I didn't realize that was embossed paper...I have embossed paper on the lower half of my dining room wall, and people are always asking about it. Anyway, your ceiling is beautiful, as is the rest of the kitchen. And I saw your pantry the other day...looks like some heaven on earth! Have a good day!

Love, Katie

Katie said...

I meant to also comment on your stove...I've always wanted one of those. And your grinder...my grandfather still has his mother's, and they use it all the time. I have been trying to find one on my antiquing adventures (one that is still in good shape...that I want to use)...I didn't know I could get one new. I'll have to look at my local hardware shop. I have gotten some other kitchen stuff there, just never thought to look for a grinder there. Thanks!

Kitty said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Can't wait to see more pics.......Kitty

Lady in the Making said...

How beautiful! I just love it! Gorgeous.