Monday, April 28, 2008

A Room is Finished.....Finally

Dearest Readers,


Well, I have finally finished the middle bedroom.... Here is a photo of the room as it looked before:



As you can see, it is pretty plain with cream walls.  This was the final room that needed a Victorian update.  I chose to paint the walls two shades of turquoise with gold stenciling....



I separated the two colors with gold braid trim....this is a very economical way to add elegance to a room.  I didn't change anything else in the room, but it feels entirely different.  One almost feels as if they are stepping back in time.


It feels so cozy and warm in here now. 


Well, that is just a peek into our dear Honey Hill Farm! I enjoy the challege of decorating on a budget....gosh, anyone could just go and buy what they need, but that takes all of the fun out of it....smile!


Thank you for stopping by to say hello, I will try and post more often.


Yours truly,


Shan

6 comments:

borderling said...

Beautiful.

Illoura said...

You did an awesome job!!

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful job you did.It is so pretty and soothing to look at.I love your paint colors and fabrics,they go perfectly together.You must give us tutorials,Shan! You have such a great touch with everything.I am so glad your daughter is doing much better,too. Love,Gayle

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful. Thanks for sharing. May I ask how you keep the gold trim to stay on your wall. If it's a decorator secret, I understand.


Paula

bodkin said...

Dearest Paula,


I would be happy to share my "decorator's mistakes...uhmmmm secret" with you. After much frustration and trial and error, I found that by using Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue and some painter's tape, I had great success with the braiding. I did let the glue "set-up" for about 2 minutes before I started to put the braid on. Then, I used little pieces of painter's tape to keep the braid in place while it dried.


I also, and this is very important, let the stencil cure for 24 hours and the paint cure 24 hours before that. Otherwise, you can smear the stencil ( I use the cream type) or you can peel off the paint with the tape. Now you know why the project took sooooo long.


I hope this helps. If you have any questions, just leave me a comment and I will get back to you!


Yours truly,

Shan

Anonymous said...

Shan, Thank you for taking the time to answer. I'm so glad I found your blog.

Sincerely, Paula