Monday, June 2, 2008

Frugal Monday.....

Dearest Readers,


As today was a Monday and the beginning of June, I took the time to pay all of our bills and plan my menu for the month.  Whilst I have reduced our monthly bills just about as far as possible, I had a bit of wiggle room in regards to my menu for June and the cost to feed my family. 


I am browsing all of my wonderful cookbooks and will be replacing my old cool weather menu with my warm weather concoctions!  Instead of Tacos for Mexico Night, we will spice things up with a delicious Taco Salad.  My heavier Italian dishes will be replaced with refreshing Pasta Salads, full of fresh garden veggies direct from the local Farmer's Market and later this summer, from our own garden. (Drop me a note in the comments if you would like me to share the recipes that I find....I never know what to include on my blog!)


Our family tends to eat much less meat during the mean season of summer, preferring cool salads and grilled vegetables.  If I am careful and save my pennies, I should be able to take the money saved and begin to stock not only my freezer but also my pantry for next fall and winter.


I also will be canning like a mad woman this year.  We ran out of strawberry jam and Dearest is just heartsick....he loves his jam!  Pickles and relish are staples in this house and we will need a multitude of pantry space to keep my family happy!  I will also be making anything and everything one can make out of a tomato!  It will be time well spent when I can "shop" for my dinner in December from produce "put-up" in June.  Not to mention the delightful homemade Christmas gifts, that will be lovingly tucked away in my pantry!


This is the time of year that one can truly make a difference in the budget for their home.  By planning carefully and diligently, it is possible to feed your family well and save at the same time, thereby insuring that your family will be well fed during the cooler months.  It is just too late to plan once the first snowflakes start falling.


Well goodness, I hope I don't sound like Chicken Little!  Just a gentle reminder that the bounty of summer can be stretched to bless our families come winter.


Yours ever kindredly,


Shan


The photo above was taken in my kitchen.  On my receipt hook I have a ration stamp from WWI.  What a reminder to be frugal and wise with our provision!

2 comments:

stitchnchick said...

Hi Shan!


I'll also be canning like a mad woman! I'm trying to get my summer kitchen in order now while I have the time, because I know that the season will soon be upon us. Isn't it wonderful? I'd love it if you would post some of your recipes. :-)


Amy

kim2661 said...

Hi Shan,

I just wanted to pop in and tell you that I read and enjoy your blog very much. Also, I've tagged you, I hope you'll play along. Please visit my blog for details.

Peace and blessings, Kim