Saturday, October 4, 2008

In My Reading & Sewing Basket....

Dearest Readers,


We are expecting a cool front later this afternoon. What better way to spend a cloudy, cozy day than curled up reading one of my most treasured books....."Letters from HoneyHill, A Woman's View of Homesteading 1914-1922". 


This book is a gathering of Mrs. Cecilia Hennel Hendricks' letters to her family back home in Indiana as she homesteads out in the Wyoming dry lands beekeeping with her beloved.  Her letters are full of everyday life, from how she does her wash to her menu for meals.  She loves her husband so dearly and finds purpose in being his help meet.  Their faith does not waver even though they find themselves living through WWI and the terrible influenza epidemic, not to mention the ups and downs of the honey business. Be sure to read the Introduction as it explains the background of each family and the marriage proposal that brought her to the wilds of Wyoming!


After reading HoneyHill, I named our little place here in Colorado in honor of Cecilia....Honey Hill Farm.  A place where each day is greeted with the knowledge that it is a gift from God...a day to be treasured.  What a wonderful inspiration this lady has been to me! If your library does not have a copy, you can order it here. 


Until the clouds settle upon the farm, I plan to start on my sewing basket projects.....



I want to make this charming vest out of the rose covered fleece.  This is an older pattern, but I like the way this fits me.  I won't be adding the little appliques,as they are a little too country so instead I will add a more Victorian trim.



Next, I want to try this pattern from Vogue...very easy Vogue, that is! It looks pretty straightforward, so I think I will be successful.  Has anyone used this pattern?  If so, please let me know what you thought of the finished jumper.


Dear Readers, I hope that each of you have a gentle and simple day.


Yours kindredly,


Shan



(Please note that there is another edition of Letters from HoneyHill that takes you from 1914-1931, I was able to obtain a copy from my library...this edition just seems to have a different feel to it.  Probably because it includes the Depression Era and its devastating effects on homesteaders.)

6 comments:

Vickie said...

The books sounds really neat. I just checked & my library has it!

The pictures of your home on here look lovely!

gabbie427 said...

Oh that looks like a wonderful book. I will have to keep my eye out fofr that book!!!


I can't wait to see some of your sewing projects when you are done with them.


God's Blessings,

Amy Jo

Anonymous said...

Great patterns and fabric! Makes me want to get back into my sewing room too, I haven't been there in months. :-( Give me a call when you've got a minute and we'll catch up.

LKH

Raquel from Kitchen Mysteries said...

Shan: Thanks so much for sharing that! I will be looking for that book, it sounds lovely. Much love, Raquel XO

Anonymous said...

Hi Shan,

I will have to look for that book. Sound just like my kind of book. I am reading some now about the women of SD homesteading.

The jumper is so cute. I am working on a jumper too for our church picnic.

Hugs,

Elizabeth

vintagerose42 said...

I love the fabric you chose for the vest and jumper. My sewing skills are minimal ~ I can handstitch, my I have always been intimitated by the sewing machine!


Hugs))

Lady Laurie (Rose Cottage)