Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Making Things Cozy.....

Dearest Readers,


I have missed you so very much over these past days.  Please forgive my lack of posting....there is much work here at Honey Hill Farm.  We have begun the gentle task of making our dear home and farm snug in anticipation of the coming colder weather.


Garden tools have been cleaned and put away after a day spent re-organizing the garden shed.  We continue to add fallen leaves to our compost pile and look forward to the "brown gold" that will be forthcoming.


I like to go from room to room in the house and make sure each room is in the best possible shape before the first flakes fall.  First, all the curtains are washed and re-hung or, if they are summer-weight, they are carefully tucked away and the heavier curtains are brought out.  While the wash is churning, each window is cleaned and then caulked and painted (if need be).  Second, closets are straightened, with any outgrown clothing given to charity.  Next, it is time to dress the beds in flannel sheets and warm coverlets. Afterwards, a thorough dusting and vacuuming render the rooms sparkling clean.  Any painting, carpet cleaning or re-organization is completed and the house feels orderly and ready for a long winter.  


Dearest and I also take the time to inspect the outside of our 100 year-old home and make sure that it is up to the challenge of howling winds and blowing snow.  We have several outbuildings that need to be snuggled up for winter as well.  All in all, this can take several weeks of work, but it makes for a lovely winter as we watch the snow swirl about while we are cozy inside!


Now don't let all this talk of swirling snow and howling winds fool you, dear reader, as it has been quite warm here lately.  I soooo want to curl up in a nice warm sweater with a hot Pumpkin Spice Tea before a roaring fire...but alas, we are still wearing short sleeves and drinking iced tea next to the grill.  But now that it is October, we can pretty much count on snow by the end of the month! 


I still want to purchase long underwear and a burgundy turtleneck in order to round out my winter wardrobe.  I also hope to finish a skirt and a few jumpers, as well as a fleece vest and a new robe.  I have everything stacked in a neat pile in my sewing room...reminding me to get busy! 


So, with that in mind, I am off to do a little hand sewing......


Yours kindredly,


Shan


The photo was taken in my kitchen...my little towel rack...and a few cherished towels.


 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shan,

I have been changing the seasons in my home too. We don't have winter here but we do have a little bit cooler weather toward the end of Oct.

Happy Fall,

Elizabeth

MtAiryMom said...

Our family has also been working on a few last minute things in preparation for the colder season. While it is hard work, we find it all to be quite gratifying in the end. I just wanted to take a moment tonight to let you know, I do so enjoy your blog and viewing your decorative style around your home and porch. You truly bring a smile to my heart each time you blog. I hope you don't mind, I added your avatar and a link to your blog on my blog page. If you'd prefer I remove, just let me know :) Thank you so much for your presence on Homestead Blogger :)

Anonymous said...

Shan:

Sounds like you have been busy! I am just getting ready to move, so will be cleaning this weekened and next week. Much love, Raquel XO

hill upon hill said...

I hope my comment is sent to you. I have not visited in a while. This morning I really felt like hearing your joyful 'voice' so am enjoying my visit. Lovely to hear of your winter preparations.


http://hilluponhill.blogspot.com/