Monday, November 10, 2008

From My Pantry....Maple-Roasted Bacon

Dearest Readers,


It has been a cloudy, cold day here at Honey Hill Farm.  We have managed to stay warm and cozy here inside our dear old home.  Of course, a trip to the library in town was in order so that I could have lots of wonderful Victorian decorating books to snuggle up with this evening while Dearest was out playing hockey. 


For our supper I decided to serve Maple-Roasted Bacon with Flaxseed Waffles (from Sunflower Farms Market).  Yum!  The recipe is from the lovely Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa:


Maple-Roasted Bacon


Serves 4 to 6 people


3/4 pound thick-cut smoked bacon (16 slices)


1 to 2 tablespoons good maple syrup


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place baking rack on a sheet pan and arrange the bacon in 1 layer on the baking rack.  Back for 15 to 20 minutes, until the bacon begins to brown.  Remove the pan carefully from the oven; there will be hot grease in the pan! Brush the bacon slices with maple syrup and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes, until the bacon is a warm golden brown. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and serve warm.



I thought this was the best bacon I have ever tasted...and it was so easy to make.  I think that homemade waffles would be quite a bit better, but I wanted to use what I had on hand.  All in all, this was a warm and satisfying meal for a cold evening.  Hopefully, Dearest will skate faster and score lots of goals this evening!



I hope you have a wonderful evening!


Yours kindredly,


Shan

7 comments:

morningsunshine said...

I love dipping my bacon in maple syrup. yummy!


and I love that pantry picture at the top. how pretty and organized!

MissLila said...

Hi Shan,

My goodness! What I had to go through to leave you a message. Homestead Blogger MADE me set up a blog site before they would let me comment on your blog. I don't have a site at the moment, my daughter is working on one for me. Your site is so lovely and I wanted so badly to talk to you that I took the hour it took me to set this up., But it was worth it because I needed to tell you how uplifting I found your blog site to be. Your beautiful home and lovely words are an inspiration.

I live in Atlanta now with my "Knight in Shining Armour" of 35 years, and our two grown daughters and our 8 beautiful grandchildren. But I was born and raised in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I miss Colorado so much!

I LOVE anything Victorian and I love the "golden days of yesteryear." I always tell my friends I was born way too soon.

I hope that we can continue to talk to each other and I will be following your blog everyday.


God Bless You

Miss Lila

blessedmomof10 said...

That looks simply delicious!!!!!!!!


Oh my!!

I also love the victorian accents on the pantry shelves.... is that lace you have attached? Did you glue it on?


Blessings,

gloria

Anonymous said...

Hi Shan,

I have been praying and thinking about you. This looks wonderful. I knew you were away. You are on my readers list. Let me know if I can do anything to help you.

Hugs,

Elizabeth

Lady Laurie said...

Dear Shan,

Your dinner looks delicious! I love breakfast dinners!

Your pantry in so tidy and pretty, it makes me want to go organize mine better. I have started to collect jars to put items in, it so much nicer!


Hugs))

Lady Laurie

Sandra said...

Oh I love this, my husband will thank you for it :)


http://familycorner.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Shan, that looks lovely! I love bacon just about any way! Much love, Raquel XO