Saturday, March 28, 2009

Saturday on the Homestead.....


Dearest Reader,


Well, it wouldn't be spring in the Rockies without a deep, wet snowstorm to keep us snuggled-up here at Honey Hill Farm.  The storm started on Thursday and by Friday morning we had 16" on the ground.  Strong winds swirled the snow in every direction and we had deep, deep drifts making us glad we had a full pantry and plenty of firewood!


Today was sunny and Dearest and I managed to make our way to our local library.  We brought home a large stack of books to peruse at our leisure...it is one of our favorite pastimes.  I checked out a myriad of titles that covered everything from decorating with lace to gardening and canning. 


With both woodstoves blazing and my craft room "stove" chasing the chill away, it has been such a lazy dazy day of reading, cooking and a little crafting for Easter.



(This is the little stove that heats my craft room...it is electric and keeps this little room toasty and cozy!)


I have Green Chile Stew simmering on the stove for our supper.  I will serve it with some simple homemade bread and jam.  I don't have an actual recipe, as I use what I have on hand, but here is what I used today:


Green Chile Stew


30oz. frozen green chilies (canned would be fine)


1lb of meat...today I used ground turkey


2 cups of diced tomatoes


2 cups of (pre-soaked) pinto beans (today I used 1 cup beans and 1 cup of potatoes that where leftover from last night's supper)


1 cup chopped onion


Add any other vegetables you wish...the more the merrier


Seasonings:  Garlic Salt, Cayenne Pepper & Chili Powder


1 TBL. of sugar


8 cups water


2 TBL. of chicken bouillon (you could certainly use chicken stock, I just didn't have any here at the house today) 


cornstarch to thicken stew


Brown meat and onion, when done, pour off any fat.  In a stockpot, add 8 cups of water and all of the vegetables & chilies.  When water comes to a boil add the bullion, stir to dissolve.  After mixture has simmered for about 10 minutes add the sugar and spices (to taste). Add cornstartch if needed to thicken.


You will have to gauge how long you need to simmer the stew in order for your veggies to be done.  This stew is actually even better on the second day!


I think tonight we will put in a movie and I will do some stitching on my tea towels. Ahhh.....slippers, a hot cup of tea....bliss!



Yours very kindredly,


Shan






3 comments:

stitchnchick said...

Hello my friend,

I just wanted to stop by to say that I am back from my blogging break! I have really missed everyone and their updates. I certainly enjoyed your lovely home and the recipe you shared. Our weatherman mentioned snow for this weekend, but I chose to ignore him. :-) I am SO very ready for spring!


Amy

KellyKJV said...

I just found your Blog, it is beautiful as well as your home looks!


~Kelly~

Lady Laurie said...

Dear Shan,

How lovely your beautiful home looks! I love your little craft room "stove." We have one almost like it.

I love to visit the library as well and snuggle in with a stash of good books and a cup of tea!

Have a wonderful week!