Friday, May 22, 2009

Around the Homestead.....

Dearest Readers,


It is quite on the cool side here at our little farm....a perfect day for working out of doors on this and that.  We have been much occupied with a number of small projects around the homestead.....


Dearest and our Oldest Darling Boy put in two small watering systems - one for the fruit trees and one for the wee flower bed near the chicken house.  Dearest also made a very lovely wood arch to go over the gateway to the chicken yard.  I still need to paint it (he builds, I paint) and I will be sure to post a picture...



We have planted a multitude of seeds in the flower garden beds and are kept busy making sure that they stay well watered until they become established.  A few of the favorites are...Morning Glories, Four-O-clocks, Black-eyed Susan, Rudbeckia, Sunflowers, Sweet Peas and Blue Flax.  This year I am trying Dahlias for the first time. The are a lovely mix of pinks and mauves and are partly shade tolerant so they should do well in my yard. 


I have some repair work to do on our outside umbrella as there were quite a few holes that revealed themselves once we opened it up this season.  I suspect we had a mouse in our storage area and it decided to use our umbrella for its nest....aaarrgghhh.  We looked at replacing this umbrella, but it is a very large market style and the price of a new one was, well, quite shockingly high.  While I have the paint out today, I am going to finish up painting a few little picket fences that we want to put in front of a small flower bed.


I think I will spent the rest of my day puttering about inside my dear old home....I am still re-arranging a few antiques and collectibles to celebrate the change of seasons. I want to take out my Flag and make sure it is pressed and ready to fly on Memorial Day.


Everyone seems to be out and about today here at Honey Hill so I am planning a simple supper of BBQ Ribs (from the crockpot) & Sweet Potato Oven Fries.  I can dish up dinner at a moment's notice....easy peasy, lemon squeezy!


And before I forget to mention it, I want to tell you about a giveaway over at Nadine's Nook.  You won't believe the darling goodies that she is offering....please stop by and visit.


So Dear Readers, I will say farewell and head out the back door...


Yours kindredly,


Shan


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I just say how much I love your home? Really. I think I'd be quite at home there!

Busy days here of sewing and planting and boys and baking. Lovely days!

Now, we really must get together--soon!

~Kimberly

The cool weather yesterday and today are certainly more to my liking than earlier this week's heat wave!

Nadine said...

Hi Shan,

Thank you so much for spreading the news about my giveaway, that was very sweet of you!

It will be a busy day around here also - baking and gardening are on my agenda today!

Have a blessed day!

~Nadine

http://nadinesnook.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Dearest Shan,


I so enjoyed reading about your gardening endeavors. It all sounds so wonderful! Your dear Honey Hill Farm is such a special place. I love each and every beautiful photo of your home! You have such a gift for decorating. I am always inspired by you!


Congratulations on winning Nadine's giveaway! Those pretties will be perfect in your lovely home!


Have a blessed week!


Kindredly yours,

Paula