Saturday, July 11, 2009

Out in the Garden.....Summer Kitchen

Dearest Readers,


One of the true delights of Summer is spending time out in the Garden!  I so enjoy growing a variety of vegetables and flowers, each one a delight as it grows and changes with each passing day.



Dearest and I have endeavored over the years to make our gardening as efficient and effortless as possible.  We have raised beds in one half of our vegetable garden and ground level beds in the other half.  Each side has a watering system that we installed ourselves with supplies from the local hardware store.  We have trellises around each hill of the cucumbers, beans and peas....we borrow just a little bit of the sky!  You can get a good look at last year's garden by visiting these posts.


This year we put in a cold frame and a summer kitchen....here, come and take a look won't you?



The cold frame is not in use right now as it is too hot, but it will be used once again come fall when we use it to grow more lettuce, spinach and carrots....imagine having all those lovely vegetables right from our own backyard this fall....yum!



Dearest built the cold frame by using old glass we have here on the farm (we have about 50 sheets of this glass and plan to build a greenhouse sometime in the future).  We painted the inside white and then added an inexpensive thermometer.  You need to keep the inside at around 80 degrees and can accomplish this by opening or closing the glass at varying levels.  I just think it is wonderful.


After reading an article in Mother Earth News about having a summer kitchen right out in your garden, I surveyed our farm and was delighted to discover that I had an old workbench that we could re-purpose to fit the bill.


Dearest cut a hole over to the right side and we put a recycled kettle inside...no more dirt in my kitchen sink...I can wash off the veggies before they even come inside!  The kettle easily removes so that I can use the hole to brush soil back into the can that sits underneath when I am potting up all of my pretty flowers  There is plenty of room to the left for cutting stems, lopping off tops and shaking the dirt off of just picked veggies!


I hope that you have a delightful day out in your own garden, Dear Reader.  Look around, you might have the makings for your own summer kitchen and cold frame right in your own backyard. 


Well, I must go out and bring in my sheets from the clothesline.  Just another gentle, simple day here at Honey Hill Farm.....what could be better.



Yours so kindredly,


Shan


6 comments:

Nadine said...

Dear Shan,


Your garden looks wonderful! You can tell just by looking at the photos how much work and love that you both put into it!

I like the covers over the strawberries, very creative!

Hope you are having a lovely summer!


Blessings!

~Nadine

Kimberly said...

Ok, I just need to invite myself over!!! I totally what to see all of this closeup! We've done so much work in our yard this year, but you are ahead of us and I'd love to learn from you! How's your August looking? I've got family in town starting today and Sweetheart leaving town next week. The last week of July is also open.

blessedmomof10 said...

wonderful photos, shan!! What a beautiful garden.. reminds me of my former garden I had when we lived in WA state. I too had raised beds w/ drip system in each bed..... I think you have encouraged me to do something similar w/ the garden here.. we have a large tilled area, but I believe I should have some raised beds, and some cold frames..... oh how exciting! Thanks for sharing with us all!

God bless,

gloria

sassyfras said...

Please drop by my blog, I have something for you.

Anonymous said...

Your garden looks very prosperous! Thanks for sharing

Sharon said...

What wonderful ideas you have! I love your dry sink. I suppose you used the garden hose. I wonder if you can share the names of your roses?