Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Art of Dressing Like a Lady.....

Dearest Readers,


As promised I will begin my weekly post on The Art of Dressing Like a Lady....


My first inclination was to pull out my lovely tea dresses and delicate shoes, embroidered purses and all such frippery.  But that would be the easy way out...as we all have a fancy dress or two tucked into the deep recesses of our closets waiting for a chance to be seen at a wedding or graduation.  I doubt that any of us would mop the floor or can a batch of pickles in such an outfit, LOL!


Instead, I have chosen a very simple, make-the-beds, hang-the-clothes-out-on-the-line, outfit that is comfortable and feminine...easy to wear for everyday life....


Ahem....for better or for worse...here I am....


A simple cotton top that has a lovely old-fashioned print of navy, turquoise and pink, a long navy skirt and my stand-by pink clogs.  Nothing fancy, (all the garments are a few years old) but it is neat and pressed and will keep me cool as today the temperature is going to reach 95 degrees.


I love to wear my hair up and out of the way, especially during the long, hot days of summer...


I have added a lovely navy bow to compliment my skirt.



I truly enjoy dressing each day, adding a little pin or a pair of earrings that set off my outfit "just so".  It really is not very hard, nor does it require a small fortune to dress like a lady...


I encourage you today to put on a pretty blouse or skirt.  Take the time to style your hair or put on a nice necklace or pin. Then go about your usual day....I promise you, Dear Reader, that you will feel a change in your person.  A lovely, wonderful change that will stay with you all day as your skirt swishes delightfully around your ankles. 


I find that when I am dressed like a lady, that my demeanor is gentle and soft. I have much more confidence in my ability as a keeper of my home. More importantly, I enjoy the sweet compliments that Dearest sends my way!


Please leave me a link if you have pictures on your blog about feminine dress...I just love to gather ideas from other kindred spirits


Yours so kindredly,


Shan



13 comments:

crispe said...

Very pretty! and you are right, when I dress more feminine, my demeanor changes too. I like my jeans and boots, but I also like to dress feminine once in awhile. I flip flop from one to the other depending on my moods and what I am going to be doing :O)


Crispe ;o)

Bonnie at http://crabapplepond.blogspot.com said...

How lovely and practical! I confess I am "roughing it" today

a skirt as always, but my hair is rather carelessly thrown in a bun, and *no* make-up.

I am looking forward to these posts even more!

bfitz said...

Thank you for encouraging women to approach their day with femininity. I always need help in that area. Think I will check out some of my skirts I have hanging in the closet. After I empty my pick up bed full of compost that is! lol

Kitty said...

How fabulous! I love the look, everything from top to crocs, lol. I love dressing as such but tend not too around the house because of the humidity here in Louisiana. I wish I could get use to it tho. Loved the post...Kitty

Nadine said...

You look beautiful Shan! I have the same pink clogs - they are great for in the garden and yard! It is so very true that how you dress affects how you act and feel. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to more post!


Blessings!

~Nadine


Nadine's Nook

nadinesnook.blogspot.com

Lady Laurie said...

Dear Shan,

You look so pretty and cool and comfy!

I agree, taking the time to look pretty really does effect the way I do my cottage~keeping.

I try to wear something feminine, even if its just adding a pretty pin or a touch of lace everyday.

Hugs))

Lady Laurie


I hope you will do more of this topic!!

blessedmomof10 said...

Shan ~~


You are so lovely! Thank you for sharing *you* with us all! :)


God bless,

gloria


ps.love your hairstyle! beautiful!

Sandra said...

You look beautiful (love your hair) and so feminine. You've inspired me to weat a skirt and top today. Thanks for taking time to write and post about dressing like a lady, our society really needs it.


Sandra

Ravenhill Cottage

Brenda@Coffeeteabooks&me said...

Exactly as a lovely lady should look in summertime. :)

Anonymous said...

Shannnn! Look at you! You are gorgeous! :)


I really love your sweet outfit. You are always so encouraging. Bless you, dear!

Lady in the Making said...

I forgot to sign my comment! Sorry about that! Hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

So Cute! Did you make the blouse? It looks just lovely! I'll have more pictures to show you soon...good luck with the boys and their move...

Love,

LKH

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post, Shan. So nice to see you in "person". You are truely lovely, especially because you do not hide your femininity, but instead, delight in it. I've also enjoyed wearing my hair up this summer, and love the way it feels. Not only is it comfortable, but if seems more "dressed up".

Thanks you for the encouragement. Sharon