Thursday, October 1, 2009

Childhood Memories....

Dearest Readers,


Back in August, Dearest and I became empty nesters.  During that bittersweet time, I kept myself busy re-arranging and re-decorating the now empty bedrooms, starting with the front bedroom upstairs.


This charming and sunny bedroom has a little nursery off to one side, complete with a little window and darling built-in bench. At different times this room has been a bedroom, nursery and playroom for our children. With all of those precious memories still lingering in my heart, I decided to decorate with my collection of toys...as if I still have little ones here in the house...and they have just slipped out for a moment...



The room already had wonderful "bones" with the old Victorian bed, deep blue walls and rich red curtains and bedspread.  I gathered all the other red items that were scattered throughout my house and brought them all together...a pretty rug, lamps and junior-sized rocking chair covered in gingham felt right at home. 




The little table and chairs belonged to our children and have witnessed many happy hours of play..



Now the fun of putting all of my beloved toys and accessories in place could begin...



I raided my "School Days" box and my "Christmas Toys" box and the room now brims with little lovelies that any child past or present would enjoy...



Little dishes and blocks speak of long ago playtime...



The nursery now holds all of my "Baby" collectibles including this precious baby bed (absconded from the Master Bedroom)....the Sunbonnet Sue quilt which was given to me by my Grandma Fern...the Raggedy Ann was a Christmas gift when I was 8 years old (she holds a special place in my heart)...




What fun it has been gathering and decorating with such delightful treasures...




This decorating journey has been so cathartic for me, not to mention frugal....not a penny spent...just shopping in my own home where the price is always right.


The decorating is still in progress in the remaining two rooms... pictures will be forthcoming.


Yours so kindredly,


Shan

5 comments:

Brenda@Coffeeteabooksandme said...

I love that idea. It is so cute.


I keep teaching Christopher that when he gets his own place someday, I'm turning his room into MY room. :)

Nadine said...

Dear Shan,


You did a wonderful job decorating the spare room. It does appear as if it is in use and the children will return shortly after playing outdoors!

As our home is quite small & cozy, my old toys & dolls are packed away...someday they may come out again when my children have left our nest...until then I will treasure the time spent with my children!


Love & Blessings!

~Nadine

misscharley said...

Shan you have a lovely place here:)

www.seaminglyseweze.blogspot.com said...

Shan you out did yourself again. The look is simply lovely.


Marlyn

CandyFoote said...

BEAUTIFUL!