Thursday, October 29, 2009

Oh, Glorious Snow.....


Dearest Readers,


I just returned from my front porch where the snow total is now just above 18 inches!  It is truly a winter wonderland out here on our dear old farm. 


As I type, Dearest is out plowing around all the family homes (there are four out here on the farm), making sure that anyone who is brave enough can get to town a little easier.  The local news has advised folks to stay home today and by the looks of all of the closures on the news report the roads should be fairly vacant.


Our dear dog, Shiloh, revels in all the snow!  She bounds through drifts and nips at the snow as it flies about...she still has a little puppy left in her even though she is getting on in years.  We have a very warm place during the day for her to sit and watch the world go by complete with a warm doggie sweater (which is not easy to find for a dog who is 87 pounds) and then in the evening she is put inside for the night under a cozy heat-lamp...'tis the life of Riley, as they say.


Our boys gave us a call yesterday to let us know that the college they attend was closing for the day at 2:00 and that they were home and fully stocked with food (Smarties and Dr. Pepper were mentioned and I pretended that I heard whole-grain cookies and fresh milk...smile). Boys and food...what could be better?


Even though I miss having the boys here in our home it is so much better to have them living close to campus as the road from our home would have been treacherous, if not impossible yesterday.  I thanked Dearest for making such a wise decision and keeping me from undue worry...I have enough gray hair as it is!


Our Darling Girl called after her shift at the hospital and she and I both (again) gave thanks for having found a very lovely apartment within a block of the hospital...an ideal commute on a winter's day. She will have a few days off starting on Friday and we are hoping to get together and make Victorian scrap ornaments...she has the most darling ideas and I love to sit at her side and learn.


Let's see...what else...hmmm.....



Lots of reading, baking, soup-making and gathering bits and bobs to put in the children's (and Dearest's) Christmas boxes.  I like to be done with the bulk of my Christmas "gathering" by the first of December, so that I may enjoy the season and not be worn to a frazzle. 


Well, Dear Readers that is just about all the news from out here in the foothills of Colorado....so I will bid you farewell and go and refill my tea cup!


Yours so kindredly,


Shan


P.S. Sorry about not having any pictures, but I can't seem to load pictures right now...I will have to ask my Darling Boy about that.


Both graphics are from Glitter Graphics


7 comments:

www.seaminglyseweze.blogspot.com said...

Dear Shan so lovely to hear from you today. I have been checking whenever I am on-line to see what is up with you.

We too had much snow the past week but it has gone and is replaced by rain. Dreary dark weather, but this too will pass.


You must post your soup ideas sometime. We make soup once a week but new ideas are always welcomed.


Glad everyone is well.


Marlyn

gilsanla said...

Shan,


Wow 18 inches - I bet it's beautiful. And it so much fun to see dogs who enjoy snow. I remember the first time our dog Simba saw snow -- he was barking at it as it fell and trying to catch the snow flakes. It is a memory I cherish of him.


By the way, I love the falling leaves on your blog -- such a beautiful touch.


May God keep you and your family safe in His beautifully created winter wonderland.


Sandy

gabbie427 said...

Shan, I enjoyed looking at the pictures on your slideshow anyway!!! Your house is so lovely and I often get many ideas from looking at it.


I am so glad to hear you are all safe and so are the kids, in their own apartments. Traveling in such weather is craziness, and I am glad they don't have to do it.


I can't wait to see what treasures you and your daughter make together. I hope you can post more pics soon.


God's Blessings,

Amy Jo

Mia www.aspiring-homemaker.blogspot.com said...

I wish it would snow here..how delightful!

Right now the days are spent gathering pecans among the fallen leaves!

Have a lovely weekend!!


Mia

Brenda@Coffeeteabooksandme said...

That same system is sending heavy rain our way but it won't be too much longer when we will experience snow. I love it when I can stay at home, not so much when I have to leave for town.


We are only four miles out of town but we're thinking of letting Christopher move into an apartment with other boys near campus next year. As it is now (and before winter sets in), I stay up praying for him as he comes home in the dark!

Nadine said...

Wow - you are getting a head-start on winter down there! How warm & cozy - stay warm and enjoy!


Blessings!

~Nadine

Nadine said...

Wow - you are getting a head-start on winter down there! How warm & cozy - stay warm and enjoy!


Blessings!

~Nadine