Monday, October 12, 2009

Our Cozy Home.....

Dearest Readers,


My, it is so nice to visit with you once again.  I have been having quite a few computer problems so my oldest Darling Boy offered to build me a new (to me) computer.  This is the same fella who housed NORAD in his bedroom....so he knows a thing or two about computers! I feel as if I traded in my horse and buggy for a spaceship...it moves pretty fast, let me tell you. Thank you son!


Dearest and I have been busy with the abundant chores required to ready ourselves for the upcoming Wintertide.  Hoses have been drained and stored, wood chopped and stacked...with more to be hauled down from the mountains, windows....caulked and sealed. The heavy velvet curtains hung, sparkling jars of every kind line the pantry shelves and the flannel sheets along with extra quilts extend their invitation for long-winter's naps.


In all the hub-bub, I have been puttering along trying to go through every box, drawer and closet in an effort to make sure that all the items in our home have a place and purpose. 


I felt like an archaeologist uncovering fantastic treasures as I sifted through boxes from the attic....I found four lovely antique gold tablecloths that I had purchased years earlier for a dinner party. I am not sure why I put them in the attic instead of in my linen drawer....I amaze myself sometimes!  I sewed a simple hem onto each one and they instantly became beautiful portières for the front parlour. I also came across four large tassels that now adorn said portières....so Victorian and so FREE!  I now could move the current burgundy portières (they match the color of the paint perfectly) to the downstairs front bedroom where they could be used to curtain off the two closets.


A long-forgotten fabric remnant was quickly made up into a lovely curtain for the downstairs bathroom.  I had been looking for just such a thing for ages and here it was right under my nose! Why there was even enough fabric leftover to make a few lovely linen hand towels.


Appliances that were stuffed into the back of cupboards have either made their way into active duty or were bid adieu as they headed toward the charity shop. 


Now drawers are neat and tidy and everything inside is useful, beautiful and wanted.  Closets are orderly and offer calm instead of chaos.  The attic is home to just a few things instead of the long forgotten pile of boxes.  A blissful end to a rather extensive project....how lovely.


So now Dearest and I are ready to begin tucking in during the quiet months of Wintertide.  The fires will be burning, hot cups of steaming tea poured, gentle evenings spent in the comfort of a neat and tidy little home...what could be better?

6 comments:

Nadine said...

How lovely that you were able to find those unexpected treasures within your home!

I too have been cleaning out cupboards and closets. It feels good to de-clutter and reorganize!

Wishing you well!


Blessings!

~Nadine

www.seaminglyseweze.blogspot.com said...

So disappointed. No pictures!!

I love finding free treasures. It gives added pleasure when the project is completed.

We too spent this weekend reading the outside for winter. Frost is here at night, won't be long and we will be by the fire with knitting needles in hand.

In the meanwhile we are enjoying the Autumn colours, just breath taking, knowing what is soon to come.

Glad you work is done, and your computer is up and running.

Enjoy your posts, as always.

Marlyn

stitchnchick said...

Hello Shan,


Just dropping by for a quick visit. Your home sounds so lovely and your blog is so peaceful. It's been so long since I have written on mine. My family has been in quite a stormy season, but the Lord is our rock and my hope and continues to pour out his peace on us. Perhaps I will be able to share soon. I was thinking of you today and just wanted to say hello. :-)


Amy

Stephane said...

Just wanted to thank you for your blog. You were the inspiration for me to start doing mine here at Homestead.

Abby said...

I enjoy your blog so much. You have a beautiful home and it sounds like you are all ready to nest for the winter ! Isn't it wonderful to find forgotten packed away treasures?

Blessings from the Little Homestead...

Abby

Anonymous said...

What a BEAUTIFUL~ refreshing blog!

I so enjoyed my visit. ;)


Many Blessings~ Miss Jen

www.blessedfemina.blogspot.com