Saturday, November 21, 2009

Making My Home Bright.....

Dearest Readers,


As Christmastide is once again in sight I find myself quietly surveying each room looking for any little thing that needs attention....carpeting and rugs free of stains, bed covers and curtains fresh and crisp, baseboards and trim cleaned of fingerprints.  


Nothing is more frustrating than pulling out your cherished decorations and trims and having to clean and tidy rooms before you can begin to decorate. 


This is also a wonderful time of year to add panache to each room...maybe rearranging the furniture or adding throw pillows or a new curtain (it doesn't have to be "store" new...I like to shop here in my home where the price is always just right!).


I found that the two sofas and the chair in the back parlour were looking a little worn on the arms.  Since this is very much a room where my family will gather during this time of year, I went about making armchair covers. 


I had quite a bit of this paisley fabric and burgundy trim so I forged full-speed ahead.  All I really had to do was to make a pattern from scrap paper and then I sat myself down at the sewing machine. 




In no time at all the project was complete and the room looked neat and tidy with a little Victorian flair!



The turquoise bedroom upstairs needed some final attention to make it really shine before the holiday festivities...so I gathered all my Victorian magazines and pondered and looked about.  Ah Ha!  I found my inspiration after reading an article titled "Windows, the Cape May Way"in an old copy of Victorian Homes dated June 1998. I went about gathering all the bits and bobs needed to make a lambrequin....



A lambrequin is a stiffened drapery panel that was the height of fashion in the late 1800's. (Just in case you were wondering.)


It requires a length of fabric, fusible interfacing, trim and fringe and, in my case, a stencil pattern and paint.  I had everything in my stash except the turquoise fabric which I purchased at JoAnn's (with my coupon it came to $4.58).  I chose a bottom weight fabric primarily because of the color but also I thought it would hang well. I  used pins to hang it over the current drapery panels, but you could also build a cornice board and hang it that way. 



I think it adds just the right touch and it was very simple to make, not to mention affordable. 


I still will endeavor to take out a few of my paint cans and go around and touch up paint here and there.  After that, I can proceed to decorate with abandon....one of my favorite pleasures of the Christmastide season.


I will once again host my Christmas Home Tour (this link will take you to my tour from last year) just as soon as that last bit of tinsel is draped on the tree. I so hope you will have a free moment to join me in my parlour....a cup of cheer will be served  along with a generous helping of friendship.


Yours so kindredly,


Shan


P.S.  I would love to visit you at your home this holiday season, so do be so kind to leave me a comment and your blog address so that I may drop by for a cup of cheer!

2 comments:

Nadine said...

Your home is looking very lovely! I pulled out my snow village yesterday and set it up. Before we know it Christmas will be here!

Looking forward to seeing your Christmas Home Tour!


Blessings!

~Nadine

Outback Tania said...

I love your beautiful home Shan, you have such talent with decorating.


Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration. We in Australia don't celebrate Thanksgiving like you do which is shame in my opinion.