Monday, December 7, 2009

Quiet Warmth.....

Dearest Readers,


The temperature here on the farm will be hovering around -6 tonight (with the wind chill factor) so you can imagine that the woodstoves are burning brightly and all our heavy draperies are drawn against the cold winter's air.


Household management was on my agenda today.  It is always quiet but diligent work...paying the monthly bills, organizing my recipe binder, making a list of Christmas to-do's so that I am not worn to a fiddle-string by the month's end.


I find that my home is so much more cozy and welcoming when I am tidy and organized.  Bedlam is the enemy of a hospitable home.  With the Holiday season now upon me, I want to be able to open my door to all who enter with a quiet warmth....a shelter from the storm of this busy time of year.


My decorating is almost complete, just a few bits to gather tomorrow as I run my errands in town.  Then I can sit back and enjoy all the blessings of this loveliest of seasons.


Yours so kindredly,


Shan


P.S.  I am ever so curious about all the kind and thoughtful folks who happen to wander by my little home each day....would you be so kind as to leave me a comment and tell me a little about yourselves?




 

10 comments:

BRR... said...

We are not quite that chilly, but it did drop down to the teens last night and they say it will be even colder tonight with temps in the single digits.

Our woodstove has been warming up the house all day!

I enjoy this simple, yet important tasks of managing the home. I am a list maker and have to have everything in order!

Keep warm my friend!


Blessings!

~Nadine


Nadine's Nook

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Shan!

My name is Bonnie, and I think I have commented once or twice before.

I am married to my wonderful B., and mama to 3 babies- Honey-4; Biscuit-3, and Muffin- 12 mos.

We live in the country, and I enjoy cooking, baking reading, sewing, canning, and pretty much anything that involves homemaking.

I've been reading your blog for about 6 months, and enjoy it very much! I found you through Kimberly's-Cup.

Blessings!

Bonnie

Anonymous said...

P.S. I'm from Crabapple Pond

http://crabapplepond.blogspot.com

Stephane said...

Like you, we live in Colorado, east of the Springs. It's like 7* right now with the wind blowing. We have 2 boys at home and have a large number of animals. I've really enjoyed your blog and wish that I could decorate like you.

Anonymous said...

It is truly a blustery day here today. We've had horrible weather off and on and more is on the way. Winter has arrived.

Anonymous said...

I also live in Colorado on the western slope with two teenage daughter and two grandsons. it's been real cold here also right now we have about 12" of snow! I totally enjoy your blog, thanks for all the inspiration.

Vicki

Anonymous said...

Your blog encouraged me last week by reminding me that creating beauty and a peaceful home is valuable. It was definitely a "God thing" that I found your blog. Thank you for sharing the details of your life with us.


Linda Nichols

new reader

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am in Australia, it is cooler today but boy was it hot yesterday. I have just made chocolate icecream!


I love visiting your warmth and kindness.


http://hilluponhill.blogspot.com/

Handmaiden said...

Christmas greetings to you Shan, I haven't been blogging lately, but I have kept up with you. I am still enjoying the gifts I won in your give away. The last two nights here at the foot of the La Sals were -16 degrees. My kitchen water froze, but I have water in the bathrooms. So I heat water on my wood cookstove and wash away. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas season. Anne

Helen said...

Hello Shan,
I found your blog a few days ago thanks to sharing favourite blogs on Sugarpie Farmhouse Blog. I find your blog delightful and so encouraging. Thank you for taking the time to make it so beautiful.
I notice that you often ask what readers would like to see on here. I would love some articles on thriftiness, tricks on how you do decor. For example, one of the things that you mentioned is that you put lots of sprigs of greenery in amongst ordinary things at Christmas, so you don't need to own a huge amount of ornaments. I would also love some of your recipes as well.
Once again, thank you for letting me share a little of your delightful home, Helen