Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Art of Keeping My Home.....

Dearest Readers,


This week finds me close to home, living gently and deliberately, celebrating the art of keeping my home.  I am constantly seeking out better ways to create calm from chaos hoping that it will bring peace to all who enter my humble abode.


After giving each room a quick tidy, I had a little fun re-arranging furniture and frippery.  A rocking chair from the library has been moved into the front downstairs bedroom...it just fits that space so perfectly.  I also switched a few area rugs around...the smaller parlour rug is now in the library and the big rug from the master bedroom is in the parlour....the scatter rugs from the front bedroom are now in the master bedroom!  Dearest always asks if we have moved when I change things around...I just smile.


Between baking batches of Oatmeal cookies (we were completely out of cookies, can you believe it?),  I cleaned out my Hoosier cabinet from top to bottom. And let me tell you, it needed it!  It was shockingly dirty...crumbs, spilled spices, etc.  I am reminded that I must tackle the pantry shelves next...it is a big job, but it puts things in order for canning season.


I bought a lovely sewing/work basket at a local street market last weekend and had time this morning to give it a good coat of paint.  It will sit behind my chair in the back parlour and hold all my yarn and embroidery supplies. Of course, I will have "Victorianize" it will some fringe and will post pictures accordingly.


What else?  The usual laundry, menu planning and bill paying...not to mention the beginning of the gardening season with its myriad of chores. A full to over-flowing week, full of lots of lovely little tasks. Each one adding itself in the creation of a very cheery and cozy home.


What could be more pleasant?


Yours ever so kindredly,


Shan


 

6 comments:

canadaroxieg9 said...

Funny I just cleaned out my spice cupboard the other day. Whooa kind of needed it I would say. Everything looks nice in there now. Pretty blog you have here. God Bless Roxanne

Nadine said...

Hello Shan,


Yes, tis the season for cleaning! I have so much to do, but it feels so good when I am finished with the room!

Hope you are having a lovely spring so far!


Blessings!

~Nadine

southernmomma said...

Sounds like you had a nice day. I love to rearrange furniture and things around. It always seems to make a room all fresh and new again. Blessings, Ann

sweetlocuslane.blogspot.com said...

Dearest Shan

Funny all winter we anticipate spring and when it arrives we don't know which way to turn for work that needs doing.This week we must tackle the cold cellar and get it ready for the coming season of canning and drying. What joy one can find in keeping busy.

Blessings Marlyn

Schatzi said...

Oh yes, this time of year is perfect for cleaning and re-organizing our lives and homes.


Have a blessed day!

Connie

CC said...

Hi Shan!

I finally figured out how to get an account so I could leave you a message. I just love your blog and the way you write. I have to tell myself all the time, "have a gentle day, just calm down!"

I hope you have a nice summer.

C. C.