Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Very Own Soda Fountain....

Dearest Readers,

I have always wanted to have an old-fashioned soda fountain in my home. Imagine my surprise that I had all the necessities right here under my very own roof and had never even noticed!

It all started right after the Christmas holiday as we were about to put all the furniture back into its rightful place after taking down the tree. We had moved our bar from in front of the stairwell railing (where we always place the tree) and positioned it over in a little corner underneath a pendant lamp, where we usually have our chess table and chairs...they were residing in one of the spare rooms. All of sudden it hit me...this little vignette looked very much like a wonderful old photo I had of a Victorian era soda fountain! (See photo above.)


How incredible...not to mention timely, as I had wondered about even keeping the bar as it really didn't have much use for us as a family...we are not "bar" people. We were gifted this beautiful oak bar and it provided many years of use as an island in our kitchen until Dearest built me a much more serviceable table and we had the room to move it out of the way. Oh, how happy I am that I hung onto it for these past few years.

I wasted no time in finding bits and bobs to decorate my new inspiration! I already had the lovely Coca-Cola bottles...they used to be in my pantry. The little tin they are sitting in actually has an insert for condiments for a picnic and had been in the back of my cupboard. I picked up the very tall glass jar at Hobby Lobby on sale and it holds ice cream cones...so fun. And since this soda fountain is part of my back parlour...you know that I had to add a chicken...with glasses!


I brought out my two penny candy dispensers and a thrifted jar to hold sweet treats. Portion control is easy when you dispense candy from these little gems...I provide the pennies!

I scoured charity shops for the Coca-Cola and Pepsi trays....very easy to find! I am always on the lookout for tins and such and it has been fun adding to the shelves these past few months. I enjoy the hunt as much as the finding!


I already had the Hershey's collectibles (chocolate bar eaten long ago with cardboard now wrapped up in the foil), the salt-water taffy box, scoop, Cracker Jack box and beautiful blue candy dish (it came from my Grandmother). I just sprinkled pretty candies around and added colored water to a few of my lovely bottles (they are up on the shelf in front of the mirror).

Even my pendant light was dolled-up with this stunning trim from, you guessed it...Hobby Lobby! I waited for it to go on sale as it is quite pricey...thank goodness I only needed a small amount. I think it adds such a "sweet" touch to this little corner.


Now don't you know that about the time that I started this project I was able to acquire this darling popcorn machine...for free! The top had been badly damaged so I used the same fabric that I had for the arm covers and added some Victorian fringe...no one is the wiser. It works wonderfully well and really completes the feel for this end of my parlour.

What a fun endeavor this has been and continues to be as I patiently collect little bits here and there. Don't forget to look around your home, Dear Reader, and you may also find that you have the makings for something special right underneath your very own nose.


Yours so kindredly,
Shan

6 comments:

Tracy said...

It looks wonderful! Enjoy! :)

sweet locus lane farm said...

You are very clever Shan. As always your decorating is beautiful.

Marlyn

Nadine said...

I love it Shan!
What a wonderful idea...you are so creative!

Blessings!
~Nadine

Anonymous said...

I think it is so pretty, and what a clever idea. I love coming to your blog to see what you are up to, you never cease to amaze me. You have a lovely, beautiful home. Thanks so much for sharing with everyone.
Blessings,
Gayle

Kate said...

How very neat! I live in a small house and there is no room for vignettes. However, my parents live in a very large house. In the dining room my father fashioned an old, large sewing cabinet into a fold-away pub (he makes his own brews).

Linda said...

Turned out great!