Monday, August 23, 2010

Summer...lived gently....

Dearest Readers,

Our gentle lifestyle continues....weeding....watering the garden.....weeding....canning the bounty....weeding.....weeding....it is no wonder that my poor blog has been sorely neglected. I have missed visiting many of you and will endeavor to catch-up with my blog reading soon.

I shared my summer kitchen idea last year, but I have made some changes and wanted to share that with you this year. The above picture shows my summer kitchen in its new location...the front porch. I was wilting in the heat of the garden as I went about my tasks and decided that a better location would include shade and protection from the wind. I also added a "skirt" made from a tablecloth (on clearance at Bed, Bath and Beyond) that has pretty cutwork...I just cut it in half and added a pocket along the top. It is secured by gathering the fabric on heavy duty elastic and then using upholstery tacks to stabilize it along the perimeter. So much storage and a place for the kitties to hide!


This is a close-up of my "sink"....just a hole cut into the surface and a lovely old graniteware pail slipped into place. The water cooler is handy for rinsing your hands (there is a bar of soap and a towel nearby) after working in the garden. I can take the pail out and sweep potting soil down through the hole into my garden soil can beneath...a truly lovely and efficient workspace.


The ever beautiful Mrs. Caul-i-flower is sporting a lovely dress (and her pearls, of course!) as she does her best to shoo away pests from the garden.



Anything and everything that can hold a flower is put to good use here on our little place. You would not want to leave your shoes out of doors....I might plant a marigold or two before you return!

Let's see....what else....Oh yes, I will be celebrating Tasha Tudor Day on August 28th here on my blog, so I hope you will come by for tea!

Yours so kindredly,
Shan



4 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love it all! Miss you!

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Sooo cute...it looks like what you would love!

Nadine said...

Your gardens are looking lovely Shan!
I adore your scarecrow...so fashionable!

Take care!

Blessings!
~Nadine

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Everything looks lovely.

I must say, that is the best "scarecrow" I have ever seen. :)