Saturday, January 1, 2011

Pursuits in the New Year.....


Dearest Readers,

I wish all of you greetings from our little home here in the foothills on this fine New Year's day.  Isn't it delightful to think of a whole new year standing before us....fresh and brand new....without any mistakes, full of possibilities?

This year my pursuits will include...finishing 3 more jumpers (I will share a new pattern with you)...being brave enough to wear more Victorian fashion in my everyday clothing....making my own sweaters and shawls from a wonderful new crochet pattern book....more scrap booking...and beading my own jewelry (as I have acquired quite a "stash" and it is still in my work-basket). Oh, yes, finishing the 11 mice that are already about half done....one cannot have too many stuffed mice about (and my Darling Girl would like a few for her little home as well).

Of course, there are always the usual homekeeping needs, but I would like to pursue my home organization with even more vigor and determination.  I am purposing to keep only those things I truly admire and adore and all other fluffery will be donated to charity.  Even though the Victorian "look" is always portrayed as "more is more", I like to keep my home with the attitude that only the dearest items should adorn shelves and walls and collecting frippery just for its own sake seems a bit silly, not to mention unwise for my homekeeping ledger. 

Moneywise, I relish the challenge of continuing to manage the affairs of our home with a penny-wise attitude and keep the old adages of frugality and re-purposing close to my heart and my pocketbook.  I do pray before entering any store and ask that I will be led to make wise decisions and not let the temporary desires of my heart lead my spending in the wrong direction.  If you do not do this yourself, Dear Reader, I encourage you to start...you will be amazed at the difference when you take the Good Lord along in your shopping basket.

The garden and our dear old home are always in need of attention and shall receive loving care in the due course of the year.  We especially want to add a greenhouse to the garden area and Dearest will make winter storm windows in his shop this summer....our old house is awfully drafty in the winter months. There is also the matter of painting some weather beaten trim near the roof line...we may hire that done however, as our house is VERY tall and we would have to rent scaffolding or a lift to get to the worst spots. I am a coward when it comes to very high places and would rather pay someone to do that job then have to take medication to do it myself!

I hope to condition my heart to offer more hospitality to others and not let unfinished projects and the attitude that "all must be perfect" before I can have a guest over rule the day.  This is terribly hard for me, but I am making headway and "heartway" in this area.

Most importantly, I want to encourage the Fruit of my Spirit and would like to spend more time reading my Bible, along with a few spiritual books that have been recommended by other bloggers. I will share those titles after I have read them and can give an accurate accounting. I pray that I will be a blessing to all those who I encounter and offer kindness and thoughtfulness each and everyday.

I offer you my heartfelt prayer that you will have Peace and have a multitude of Blessings in this lovely New Year....I have been humbled by your comments and delighted by your friendship.

Yours so kindredly,
Shan

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Happy New Year, Friend!

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Happy New Blog Year!

Lady-in-the-Making said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, SHAN! I hope that you will accomplish all your goals. You are definitely a blessing in my life.

villarosa said...

You are a sweet breath of air! T/U for sharing so much that is just what we each need!