Monday, March 21, 2011

Evacuation Order....

Dearest Readers,

We did receive an Evacuation order via reverse 911.

I cannot tell how your heart sinks just a little bit after you hang up the phone.....

The Sheriff's office sent an officer to our home shortly after the phone call who told us that this order was a logistical issue and not a result of imminent danger.  We live at the bottom of a canyon and this order encompassed about 100 homes (including ours) that were further up the canyon.  As the canyon road itself is quite narrow, by the time the fire suppression vehicles arrive it becomes very difficult to allow for all the traffic, so by issuing the order well ahead of the fire it diminishes the danger.  Since we live on a private road with immediate access to the highway, we did not have to leave, but just be prepared to get in our cars and go if need be.

A fire crew came by to get the "lay of the land" and said we could expect a brush crew to come by to clear brush and spray water if the fire reached the designated point behind our little mountain. 

My Darling Girl asked me if I had gathered any of my antiques...except for some irreplaceable pictures in old frames....the answer is no....I did select picture albums, scrapbooks, records & documents, DVD's of the children's plays and dance recitals, the external hard drive and each of the children's keepsake bins (sweet little things from their school years...they each have one Rubbermaid) and one loose item.....a Mother's Day crown that our Oldest Darling Boy made in grade school...now that is a true treasure.

So now all we can do is wait, watch and most importantly, pray.

Yours so kindredly,
Shan

7 comments:

Miss Sandra said...

Dear Shan,

I hope and pray for the safety of you, your family, and home. I hope the next phone call you receive will be one of good news!!
God bless you and yours!

Sandra

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

I am waiting for you to tell us that all is clear!! I cannot even imagine how difficult this is...

Buttons said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. You must have been so frightened. I am not sure what I would grab if we had to leave. Good Luck. B

Anonymous said...

I'm praying! ~lisa

Anonymous said...

You are so much in my prayers. I hope even if you have to leave that no damage will occur to your beautiful home. Be safe!

Anonymous said...

You are in my thoughts today. Living in a flood-prone area, I can well imagine how unnerving it is to have to wait on evacuation orders. I do hope the winds die down so the firefighters can safely get the blaze under control. They are so brave, aren't they? Stay safe. Hoping good things for your family, your community and the public servants who are no doubt working very hard to protect you.

Kimberly said...

You are in our prayers! I keep checking in for an update. :)