Monday, November 28, 2011

Christmastide Decorating Questions Answered.....



Dearest Readers,

After many of years of charming and delightful visitors touring my little Victorian cottage during the Christmastide season, I thought I would share answers to some of the most asked decorating questions.

Q:  How do you decorate an entire house for Christmas?

A:  My secret....an abundance of greenery!  Believe it or not, I don't actually have that many Christmas decorations. (Dearest is snickering!)  Honestly, tuck a spring of greenery amongst your everyday items and all of sudden an entire room looks festive.  Take it a step further and start tucking greenery behind pictures on the wall, add some sprigs to your potted plants, snuggle them inside your china cupboard.  Whether real or faux, greenery is my number one decorating tool.

Q: When do you start your decorating?

A:  I used to start right after Thanksgiving, but I must confess that I now start about mid November.  I entirely love the languid pace that is afforded me when I allow myself the luxury of starting my decorating so early.  I like to clean and organize each room as I decorate, so the process is quite slow....but oh so enjoyable.

Q: How and where do you store your decorations?

A: I store all my indoor decorations in the fruit cellar, except for the gigantic Christmas tree that is stored in its equally gigantic box in the front bedroom closet...it is just too hard to lug that beast downstairs.

I like to think that I store all my decorations with some sense of organization....? Each room or area has a Rubbermaid tote that is labeled, it is then hauled from the fruit cellar to the corresponding room.  This makes it easy to take my time decorating and not have the house all sixes and sevens. Of course, I make sure to carefully pack things away and if I have added or changed things, I make a note and put that in the tote so that I am not confused the following year. (As I am always confused, one would question my method...but I digress.)

Q: How do you manage to decorate all of the individual Christmas trees?

A:  I will let you in on a little secret....I only decorate two trees in their entirety each year, my Victorian Parlor tree and my large Back Parlor tree.  All the other trees are tucked away, ornaments and all in a corner of my fruit cellar.  I cover them with a gigantic (very thin and light) plastic sheet to keep the dust off of them.  All I have to do is bring them upstairs and...voila....Victorian loveliness in an instant!

Q:  Do you feel like you live in a museum, especially at Christmastide?

A:  I have been asked this question many times (while this question might sound offensive, it is always asked with kindness) and my simple answer is No.  My home is very cozy and warm and my family is always comfortable within its confines.  Yes, I do have many collectibles, antiques and period pieces, but none of them are as important as the people who cross the threshold and step into my home, especially at Christmastide.

So there you have it Dear Readers, now pour yourself a cup of tea, put on some wonderful Christmas music and enjoy the delight of decorating your own cottage for this splendid Christmastide season!

Yours so kindredly,
Shan

P.S. I have added a little slideshow with snippets from last Christmastide on my sidebar for you to peruse.

2 comments:

The Scarlet Thread said...

Your decorations are beautiful!

-Sarah

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I think your house is beautiful. I love to see decorating that shows that is personal to the woman of the house!