Friday, January 27, 2012

A Day in the Kitchen.....and a Recipe


Dearest Readers,

It has been a quiet day here in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains....a little snow, a little sunshine...the perfect day to spend snuggled inside my wee kitchen....


As the sunshine played hide and seek, I started the laundry and tidied up a few dishes from last night....


 I was grateful for the glow of my lamps as they chased away the shadows on the walls.....

(What do you think of my new wall color....I am not quite finished painting, but it makes me smile every time I step inside the kitchen!)


A batch of Dearest's favorite cookies was the order of the day....this is a wonderful lowfat recipe that I thought you might like to try....

Dearest's Delights

This recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies

2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
------
4 tbsp. butter, room temperature
1/2 cup applesauce
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
------
3 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup raisins
(you could use chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and nuts...not so lowfat, but very delicious!)

Preheat oven to 375F
Mix together all dry ingredients (except oatmeal and raisins)
In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugars...add eggs, applesauce and vanilla
Add dry ingredients...mix well
Add oatmeal and raisins
-----
Drop by spoonfuls onto sheets lined with parchment paper (remember, the cookies don't have much fat in them, so they will stick to the cookie sheet if you skip this step)

These cookies don't spread very much on their own...I use a fork dipped in flour to flatten the cookies a little...it helps the cookie spread out and cook evenly
---
Bake for 9-12 minutes
These cookies will get somewhat brown around the edges but will not brown like regular cookies
----
Pour glass of milk and enjoy!


I would love to hear from you if you have a chance to make these cookies....

Now, I must see to supper...I made a large pot of chili yesterday, so it will just be a matter of heating it up and calling out to Dearest to come and join me...easy peasy, lemon squeasy!

Yours so kindredly,
Shan





4 comments:

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI,
I found your blog via a comment you left on Aspiring Homemaker. I liked the name of your blog, so I just thought to come check it out. Then I saw the photo of all that vintage cuteness :) :) Your blog is really delightful :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather ;)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Any color that makes you happy is a good one! Love the beautiful plates especially the one with the strawberries in the center.

Anonymous said...

I tried your recipe, adding 1/2 c of unsweetened coconut to a half batch. Very good. My fellas like them, too. Thanks.

D/NY

Kim said...

Dear Sister, I once again visit your blog to connect with the home I miss so much! Can't wait to see pics of the greenhouse---tell your Dearest to drag out the overalls---he'll be busy come fall! Much love...Your little Sis