Thursday, March 1, 2012

Gentle Living.....


Dearest Readers,

Our gentle life here on our little homestead is full to over-flowing!  We have begun and finished so many tasks and yet the list of "to do's" is still quite long....

We have finished the construction of our passive solar greenhouse and now I can begin to paint and organize the inside.  I have until the end of March to have everything in order so that we may start our seedlings in anticipation of planting in the garden.  I am always in a rush to set about gardening out-of-doors and I have been fooled many times by a late Spring storm.....not this year, I vow to wait until late May!

We ordered and just received a Solar Oven and I cannot wait to try my hand cooking with the sunshine.  Alas, today we have clouds and snow, so I will have to be patient for a few days longer.  Dearest and I are hoping to incorporate more solar power here on our little homestead this year and use the money saved on our electric & gas bill to deepen our food pantry.

I have spent quite a bit of time rearranging my canned goods and canning equipment.  I took all my lovely canned produce and put it down in the cellar.  While I just adore looking at sparking jars of the summer's bounty every time I step into my pantry, it was really not a suitable environment for long-term food storage...just too much sunlight and far too warm, especially on the top shelf.  Of course, I now will need more shelving down in the cellar to hold my ever expanding food pantry, so I have added it to our list.

My sewing/craft room was also rearranged, as I was able to incorporate a base kitchen cabinet.  It has a built-in glass cutting board and it will serve as a wonderful work station for my more messy projects. We had been saving it for quite some time, as it had been displaced from the kitchen when I added my lovely old stove.  I love to re-purpose and re-use!


A wee bit of sewing, baking and cleaning round out my days.....all, in all a very gentle life indeed.

Yours kindredly,
Shan

2 comments:

Nadine said...

So nice to hear what you are up to! It sounds as if you have been very busy!

Take Care!

Blessings!
~Nadine

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I always love seeing pictures of your home.

We'd love to try solar but ummm... we live at the edge of a forest. ;)