Friday, August 17, 2012

The Old Ice Box.....



Dearest Readers,

The long hot days of summer are upon us, beckoning us to all things cool and delightful.  Of course, if you live in a Victorian farmhouse you might be able to imagine yourself keeping your summer perishables chilled in an old fashioned icebox.....

And while I am no longer able to order ice from the iceman and have it delivered by horse and cart, I can try and capture that long ago feeling whilst I rummage inside my newly fashioned ice box!


Dearest affixed the beautifully handmade (by him, of course) faux panels to our french-door styled fridge (we had an "interesting" time trying to glue the panels in place...I'll say no more about it...ahem). He made them out of thin oak veneer. After the addition of ice box hardware and staining the wood a pretty honey oak, we now have a refrigerator, um, ice box that any Victorian housewife would be pleased to call her own.

Now my kitchen is finally complete in all its Victorian splendor...thank you my sweet husband, you always help me to realize my dreams...


Yours so kindredly,
Shan 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very nicely done. What a talented husband you have! It was nice to read your post. I wondered if you were okay given the droughts and fires out west. What strange weather the whole country is having. My four o'clock's don't open until seven o'clock this year. I call them my seven o'clocks, too.ougavol Do you think it is because of the weird weather? Dee/NY

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!