Monday, June 17, 2013

Summertime, and the living is easy.....


Dearest Readers,

My how this summer is flying by!  We have been tending to our home and garden, not to mention chickens, the greenhouse and all the other daily chores with a quiet purpose...taking time at the end of the day to take in all the goodness and beauty that surrounds us. 

Today it is partly sunny with a chance for rain...always a blessing here in the foothills, but especially welcoming with all the terrible fires that rage around our beautiful state.  We ourselves were once so affected, please know that we keep all our dear neighbors in our thoughts and prayers.


I can hear the sound of a lonely train whistle in the distance along with my chickens sweetly clucking...I just love having the windows open, the breeze and sunlight inviting themselves to visit, if only for awhile.

 
Just puttering today, spending time in the kitchen, the laundry is churning, I have a few bills to pay and want to head out to the greenhouse and garden and take a look at how things are growing.  I love days when I have nowhere to go, just staying home and enjoying the ease of summertime.
 
 
We will have leftovers from our Father's Day meal for our supper as we had a bounty of BBQ chicken, so now it will just be a matter of making a side dish and a small salad and dinner will be on the table...easy peasy lemon squeezy!  Father's Day was lovely, but Dearest was hoping (as we all were) to get a telephone call from our youngest Darling Boy (who is away at Basic Training for the Army).  Alas, the evening concluded with nary a ring.  Our boy...we miss him so.....
 
 
Well, my sweet readers, you must excuse me, I hear Dearest in the kitchen having a late lunch and I think that I will join him.
 
I hope to get around and visit all my lovely friends here in our little internet world. You are all so generous to share your ideas, thoughts and lifestyles. I sit in awe, just in awe, of all that you accomplish and hope to accomplish...you inspire me...truly.
 
As always, I am kindredly yours,
Shan





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Shan. I'm glad to read that your family is safely distant from the fires. I wish we could send Colorado some of the rain we've been getting. It's dry today but we had weeks of too-plentiful rain.
Well over 7" in one weekend and the ground was already saturated before that! Since you have a greenhouse, I thought you might be interested in a seed company I tried this year. Swallowtailgardenseeds.com (I love to spread the word about good garden-related companies.) Their pelleted geranium seeds are fantastic! I'll be trying many other colors next year. Best to start them in winter since they bloom after 4 or 5 months. Since I started mine late, they won't bloom until it's time to bring them in. My grandmother kept her geraniums blooming all winter in her bay windows. I hope mine do, too! It's always nice to read your posts. Enjoy the summer!
Dee/NY

Shan said...

Dearest Dee,

I will have to give your seed company recommendation a try. I love, love geraniums and have some that are now 3 years old, as I bring them into the greenhouse to winter-over in comfort.

If you could think of a way to send us your rain, we would be ever so grateful! So dry, dry, dry here...scary...very scary.

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I love getting "mail"!

Kindredly,
Shan

K said...

Dear Shan,
I so wish I could have visited your lovely home when we lived in Denver. Your glimpses inside are always so fun to see. Hope you are well.
Kimberly

YapNetworker said...

Sounds like a place I'd love to visit and just sit quietly under a tree and enjoy the quiet sounds :)