Friday, October 18, 2013

Autumntide Afternoon...

 
Dearest Readers,
 
My, my, it has been a long time since I have stopped by for a visit with you. We have been kept busy with so many diversions and happenings here on our little homestead.  Now that Autumntide is upon us, the pace of life is slowing and it is time to put away the busy-as-bees days of Summer.
 
The light is now changing...the afternoons bathe themselves in golden hues...dappled light invites itself inside, making for pleasant company.  No matter what the chore, it is always more enjoyable in the sunshine as it sparkles throughout the house....
 

The kerosene lamps are gathered, chimneys washed and polished clean, the bowls filled and wicks trimmed in anticipation of cozy evenings spent before the fire...reading by lamplight...snow swirling...wind howling....tucked under a favorite quilt....

The larder is full and the root cellar is bursting....time to take stock of the bounty that will bless us throughout the long Winter....
 
Why even the wee mice take the time to count their blessings...
 
 
What a lovely sight...a full pantry to delight tiny tummies in the coming months...
 


Now that Autumntide has made an appearance, it is time to slow down and savor the season.  I for one, welcome the respite and look forward to the quiet days ahead.

Yours so kindredly,
Shan

P.S.  Thank you from the very bottom of my heart for the lovely words and well wishes sent during our first steps as Army Parents.  Your kindness made the transition a little bit easier and I am happy to report that our Soldier Boy is thriving at his first duty station!  We are indeed Army Strong!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Your home is so lovely! Your lamp collection is fantastic. I love the old-fashioned charm an oil lamp lends to a room.

-Sarah

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear from you again! Life gets busy doesn't it. Time goes so fast it seems. Months fly by!! We are looking forward to fall and cooler weather even here in California. The cooler weather here means more bread will be coming out of the oven!! Yea!! Isn't it a true comfort to know your larder is full and your family will be provided for. Some days when it is hot and the kitchen is even hotter with the canning pots on the fire you wonder if it is worth it!! Yet you know it is only for a season and you will again be absolutely glad you canned and dried all you could. Thank you for writing us letting us know you are ok. I pray your son is doing well too. Sarah

Shan said...

Dearest Sarah,

Thank you for your lovely comments! Yes, life truly does move at a fast pace. I just love looking at all the sparkling jars lined up in my fruit cellar, knowing that we can rest easy during the long winter.

Our son is doing wonderfully and enjoying his duties as a Soldier. We miss him, of course, but we are so proud of him.

Blessings to you and your family,
Shan

Gayle said...

Shan, so glad to see you are back!I had been going over some older posts of yours and you had written about a napkin ring craft that you were going to share,I was hoping you might be able to share it with us before Thanksgiving? Also, how did the sweatshirts that you crafted turn out? Thanks so much, so glad to see you are back again, I always look forward to your posts, your blog always leaves me feeling so peaceful. God bless you, Gayle

Shan said...

Gayle,

Thank you for still reading my much neglected blog!

I do indeed have the little napkin rings and I will get them out and post a picture. I am hosting Thanksgiving for Dearest's family this year and need to take inventory of all my decorations...it has been awhile since I was a Thanksgiving hostess!

The sweatshirts were so cute. Were....ahem. The iron-on image started peeling after just a few washes and looked terrible. So I removed all the beading and sent them to the rag-bag. Sigh... Will have to try again with a different brand of transfer medium.

I will be posting more often, now that life has slowed down for us here on the homestead.

Kindredly,
Shan