Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Home and Hearth...


Dearest Readers,

I have longed to visit with all of you in this New Year of 2014, but my heart and priorities led me inward, towards home, keeping close to kin and hearth.

Dearest had knee replacement surgery in January and has been bravely moving forward through the long process of healing.  He will have his other knee operated on next month, hoping to be in fine fettle before the summer embraces us with all its diversions.  I have been his faithful nurse, offering cold compresses, hot soup and loving encouragement.  

We are now the proud parents of 4 Alpacas.  It is a long story, but they came to us around Thanksgiving and we have enjoyed their gentle ways, learning as we go about their care and feeding.  I promise a post dedicated to them....your heart will melt. 

There was time to organize my dear old cottage after all the Christmastide decorations were tucked away.  I re-arranged a few rooms, tidied closets and drawers and made a list of any little repair that might be needed. I also made a list (I keep it in my purse) of any item that I might want to look for at yard sales, antique shops, Goodwill, etc. throughout the coming year.  For instance, I have a darling print for the middle bedroom, but no frame.  Now, I could just go and buy a new one, but honestly, I would rather find an old frame, so I will be patient and look for a beautiful one...a lovely pursuit. Antiques, the gems of recycling...

This will be a year of concentrated effort to broaden our skills with regards to our garden, greenhouse and canning, drying and storing the bounty.  I fear that we are headed for some difficult times as a country, and I hope to be prepared to not only be a blessing to my own family, but to those who may need a helping hand. Keeping a full pantry and root cellar will be a very good place to start.

My sewing room has been long neglected, but will be a bee hive of activity as I  have need for some new aprons for the coming year.  I have a stash of fabric that will be put to good use...darling and practical...my favorite combination.

We have no big plans for projects this summer, just the usual maintenance that an old house requires, along with gardening, tending to our animals and enjoying the sunshine after the longest winter I can remember.

So, here I am, back to a routine, hoping to share my simple, lovely life in the coming days...it is my dearest hope you will pour yourself a cup of tea, settle in and join me...I have sorely missed your company.

Most kindredly,
Shan

6 comments:

Brandi said...

What lovely words, thank you. I was swept up. I'm happy to be apart of your blogging community. <3

Anonymous said...

Your blog is such a lovely peaceful one. I'm so happy whenever there's a new post on it. I do hope your husband is much improved now. It must have been a hardship for him to have that surgery.

Will you be spinning your own alpaca yarn? I think that would be interesting to try. Maybe you can color it with natural dyes from your own plants!

This HAS been a long winter! We had a good deal more snow this year than the recent past. It is not a bad thing, just tiresome. We've been seeing red foxes often. My neighbor saw a snowy owl this week on the telephone wire. He showed me a photo on his cell phone. This is suburban Long Island! I think even the animals are tired of the winter.

To chase away the doldrums, I perused an on-line seed catalog yesterday and ordered several types of geraniums, sun-tolerant coleus and nasturtiums for our front yard garden. Oh and Toscana strawberry seeds: it has deep pink flowers and supposedly luscious berries. Crop rotation requires the veggies to be grown in the back yard garden this year, a nice change really. I do look forward to a front yard filled with flowers! Have a lovely Valentine's Day! Dee/NY

Simple Pleasure said...

Good afternoon, Shan and Happy Valentine's Day! I was so thrilled to find a new post from you.
I do hope your husband continues to improve following surgery. My understanding is that it is imperative to maintain the follow-up therapy schedule prescribed.
We just finished with another norester here in NY. I rather enjoy being "homebound" by a good storm...like you, my home is my sanctuary and I never run out of activities to enjoy.
I, too, enjoy canning in the summer months. It was a joy to go into the pantry and have a jar of sweet and sour pickled green tomatoes to have with today's lunch. At the end of the season, we found ourselves 40 plus pounds of green tomatoes..waste not; want not.
I"m off to work on a cross stitch project for Easter...this is my first attempt using 32 count linen.
Busy Hands...Happy Heart
Patricia

Gayle said...

Shan, so glad you posted, it's good to see what you have been up to. I hope your husband mends quickly. That is a very painful surgery. I look forward to seeing the aprons you sew, and to hearing more about your Alpacas. Your blog is a lovely peaceful place to visit, and when I need some inspiration, I come here. Blessings to you, Gayle

Anonymous said...

love your blog-I've been a long time reader.
Joanna in ca.

Anonymous said...

Somehow I missed your posting and now there is another one! My husband had knee replacement too. Hope yours has had the second and a successful one now too. It is a long and painful recovery but worth it when the healing is done isn't it. Yes I nursed him too. He said after three months things seem to ease out and get much better. I may need mine done too. I am not looking forward to that! It will be hard to be in pain and not be able to do much at all around the house. I am not sure either how much he is up to nursing me! :) I do hope spring gets round to your part of the country. We have had more spring like weather than winter here in Southern Calif. Also hardly any of our rain and this is our rainy season. As you know many are worried about food prices going up with the droughts here. Also as Granny Miller and others are saying there is a pig virus that is killing so many baby pigs . she said to expect pork prices to go way up by next December because of this. Some things though never change like God still being on the throne and in charge. Of this I am very thankful. Sarah